Thursday, March 20, 2003

Not that I don't care about the war in Iraq. It's more that there's nothing that I can do about it, so why should I get all het up and stomp down Swanston Street yelling, "We don't want your racist war." The decisions have been made. We may not think it's the right decision, but nevertheless it doesn't change the fact that they have been made. There's really nothing that the common man on the street can do about it (though I suspect many will argue with me on that one), so stop with the rallies already.

I mused this afternoon to my usual partner(s)-in-crime, "We were talking about this the other day on the way home from camp. We agreed that it's rather like primary school bullying tactics out on the playground. You know, 'You don't want to do it my way? Fine, I won't play with you anymore' mentality."

Funny how some people seem to be ignoring the lessons learnt from past wars, too.

"So you don't care because it doesn't affect you in any way?"

"No, not really. There's nothing I can do about it. I really don't think those rallies are going to do much good. Besides, I don't want to get too emotionally attached to the issue." Too much emotion clouds the mind, and rational reasoning usually flys out the window.

I'd rather quietly light a candle and say a heartfelt prayer, alone. There is still some of that "milk of human kindness" left, I'm sure of it.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home