Among the pile of books I picked up at a local fete (an entire bag for $2!) today is a copy of Mendelssohn's Elijah. It's musty and yellowed. There are sections cut out from the introduction. The pages are loose, the entire thing is almost falling apart. But I crowed when I found in it among other yellowed scores and books on gardening and cooking. I have never heard Elijah, nor do I know much about Mendelssohn. I'm not fond of oratorios, either (of which Elijah is one) - I ran a mile when they announced they were going to do Handel's Judas Maccabeus, and I would run another mile if they were to do The Messiah again. So, logically, I shouldn't have bought it. But we all know that females are illogical. In that sense, it was perfectly logical for me to buy Elijah. No, you needn't work it out. Just go with it.

0 Comments:
Post a Comment
<< Home