Ten Years
The somewhat tardy recognition that Darren is ten years old has made me realize this is my tenth year of living in Melbourne.
Ten years.
Mum was pregnant with Darren when I left with my suitcases and boxes for “better educational opportunities” in Melbourne – quite literally on my own. He was born three months after that.
Ten years ago, this overseas experience was meant to be temporary. It was always assumed that after I had gotten my university education, I would come home to live. I would meet a local boy and in time, I would settle down to my own family. I think that was always my parents’ assumptions. I admit it was mine too.
So what happened?
I’m not quite sure.
A lot of things fell into place, especially after I finished uni for the second time about a year ago. I stepped into a contract position a week after I finished a semi-volunteer position at uni. Five and a half months later, I accepted a position with another organization before my contract expired, and that's where I’ve been ever since. There hasn’t been a break between finishing uni and starting work where I needed to consider my options. It was one continuous flow of events.
I consider myself very lucky.
Consequently, ten years on, you see me quite content in Melbourne. I am in a full-time, permanent position. I have started accumulating superannuation. I went into tangible debt for the first time in my life when I bought my car (for some reason, my $30,000 HECS debt is not tangible enough). I pay taxes to the Australian government. I’m starting to think about owning property.
And I met a boy with fuzzy wuzzy hair.

0 Comments:
Post a Comment
<< Home